The Children’s Department will be closed January 13-25 for the installation of new shelving. The rest of the library will be open during regular hours of operation.
Thank you for coming to our page to learn more about The Free Library’s funding request and thanks to all who attended the Solebury Supervisors community form on January 14.
- We have to fundraise to keep The Free Library’s doors open. We must raise between $80,000-$100,000 annually to cover day-to-day operating expenses. Thanks to our patrons and supporters, we have made it happen, but it is a burden that saps time, energy and resources from our mission of sharing knowledge, enriching lives. View our budget chart.
- The Free Library receives the lowest per capita contribution in Bucks County. We are asking Solebury Township to increase its contribution from $120,000 to $170,000 to partially cover the $80,000 deficit in our operating expenses and to bring us closer to other public library funding in our county. To put it into perspective, see what other libraries receive.
- Solebury residents use 70% of The Free Library’s services. To add some context, The Free Library delivers more than $115 in resources per year to every member of our community. Our funding request equates to about $6 per Solebury resident. Please note that we have asked New Hope Borough for an increase, too.
- The Free Library will not stop fundraising. Our all-volunteer Board will continue to raise funds for The Free Library with appeals and events like our Spelling Bee. However, without the pressure to meet our operating budget shortfall, we will build our endowment, which our forward-thinking library founders started many years ago.
- Our endowment serves as a safety net now but will be used to enhance services in the future. If we can build our endowment over the next few years, The Free Library will have the funds to cover any budget shortfalls and improve services. Our goal is to provide our community with a free public library that will be strong and fiscally sound for another 100 years!
Please let us know if you plan to attend the meeting by registering here.
Thank you for your support!